VFD Compressors Are The Most Efficient Compressors To Operate?
VFD ( Variable Speed Drive ) compressors can be an energy efficient compressor option for some businesses but you will need to do some homework before just blindly purchasing!
- Most importantly, have an Air Demand Audit performed by a reputable compressor distributor.
- An Air Demand Audit should give you clear, easy to read graphs and charts that show the air consumption in a facility over at least a 7-10 day period or even longer.
- If an audit shows air demand consistently in the 80-100% range , a fixed speed unit would be a cheaper option to purchase. A VFD unit would not give any significant energy savings at the high end of usage and in fact could be less energy efficient than a standard compressor!
- Not all compressors are created equal! Check out their performances at CAGI.org. Just because it is a variable speed compressor doesn't mean that it provides more air than a fixed speed unit.
- If the audit shows large swings in air usage, you may want to consider multiple smaller fixed speed machines or a combination of fixed speed and VFD compressors. There are many disadvantages to having just one large compressor - VFD or fixed speed!
Let Quad-State Air help you with your next Air Audit and variable speed drive compressor!
Compressor Sales & Service
362 S. Carlisle Street